Thursday, August 18, 2011

What? Down again! UPDATED!

Yep, just a little shout-out, about a bout a gout I am dealing with right now.
My head is having a really hard time wrapping round this. I wake up one morning from a good sleep, no fist fights, no car wrecks, no Ninja warriors that I know of and WHAM, my knee is the size of a cantaloupe(big one), hurts like all hell, and I can’t walk. WTF? This has been my worst bout of gout no doubt about it.
I am told it is gout. And I am constantly told I need to change some habits.
Ok, give up red meat, done, shellfish, no brainer, drink more water, I am already doing that, and limit or quit drinking beer!
I’m sorry, what was that last one?
There is no way I could form the words “no I can’t drink that beer, it makes my knee hurt.”
Anyway,, terrible time for me to be down as a storm is fast approaching and things need to get done. But I can barely walk now so it better be a small storm.
Fuck.




UPDATE: I figured out how this happened. Saturday while attending the birthday party I took a seat. Seating was somewhat limited but there was one chair with wheels no one was using.
Another friend had just broke her ankle on her good leg and was using a wheelchair to get to the girls room and stuff. It was empty so I plopped a squat. Shortly thereafter I was informed it was bad luck to sit in a wheelchair.
This was Saturday,, Monday morning is when I woke up hobbled.
Hmmmmmm.
But what bout this guy? As far as I know he is OK. Maybe I absorbed all the bad juu juu before he plunked his ass down?






Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel.

9 comments:

Sue W said...

One word: colchicine.
Cheap and effective.
When the gout has passed take allopurinol daily forever.
And continue to drink beer.

Anonymous said...

Yo Barn,

TeleMed for you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090

http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/gout-topic-overview

My brother-in-law has gout, and has been prescribed allopurinol to decrease uric acid which forms the crystals in the joints, leading to inflammation and pain. He also has been known to have a beer or more.

Is there anyone in Belmopan or the City who could aid you?

sandy a said...

yup, our friend (whom you have met, I think) John has gout. The doctor told him to stop drinking beer, and all that other stuff too. He switched to hard alchol, then he developed panreatis. No bueno. HOwever, I don't think he was taking his allopurinol like he was supposed to either. ( not that tht had anything to do with his pancreatis.)

Barnacle said...

thanks for the tips! i'll work on them.

RPM said...

You might want to drag your butt down to an actual doctor and run some tests. My Dad was diagnosed with gout by an old small town country doctor. 10 years later the doc died and Dad got a second opinion, it turned out to be diabetes. Those 10 years would have made a huge difference.

Hope you're up and around soon!

Anonymous said...

Please get another opinion as RPM says, friend died last month, his ankle swelled up 5 months ago, same thing small town doc had said it was gout. Was on meds but leg turned color 6 weeks ago and old doc sent him to big city doc. Advanced diabetes. They immediately put him in a coma to fly him to Mayo because the leg needed to be amputated. Leg was cut off but never came out of the coma, liver shut down and he died.

SubCMan said...

Hey Bill,

I hope Harvey takes it easy on you. Gout or no, I think I'd still stock up on beer to ride it out. We both hope you, Adriane & Scurvy come out the other side with your patch o' paradise intact.

Bob & Tammy
Calgary, Canada
(Happy guests from Apr/11)

Anonymous said...

Bodie is in the same boat as you. He had a flare up last week, took 4 doses of Indomethicin and zap, gone. He would never give up his beer or rum and his bouts are not that frequent. Maybe someday they will be and he will quit, change? I doubt it, would have to see to believe! Good luck and let us know what you did and if it worked.

Carole said...

It's tough to navigate stairs in a wheelchair!