Sunday, July 27, 2008

The day the music died,,,,

Maybe a bit late for spring cleaning but it’s gota be done. My ‘shop’ has been a disaster for a few years now. Feels good to clean it up. There will be a yard sale to benefit PCSD sometime soon and I have found lots to donate. A lot of boat parts, brand new seat covers, umbrellas (beach, not photo), lots of good stuff.
One item I had to turn loose of was my beloved Teac X10R reel to reel deck, with Dolby dbx unit. I updated my tape system to this deck around ’81. It gave me so many hours of quality music over the years I could have cried when it died. Out with the deck went about 15 reels of tape. I don’t remember exactly what was all on them but I do know there was plenty I don’t have now and would have a tough time replacing.
When you drive by here and see that mud puddle out by the road, well that was me crying!

Well, Phuck that thing.
iPods rule!
The Teac weighed in at near 50 lbs, only played 6 hr tapes, had to search to find songs, change reels, clean the heads, blah blah blah.
My iPod weighs next to nothing, has 5002 songs on it with room for more, hit shuffle and it will play for 13.4 days, unlimited play lists, instant search, plugs into any system and the truck, sounds excellent, never needs cleaning.
All my approximately 2000 cd’s are backed up on a hard drive, and then backed up again on a second drive. Plus all the music I have scammed from other folks hard drives, I got a nice collection going.
What could be better?

Every time the modern world comes up with some new gadget I think ‘what could beat this’? and bigger than shit, they do, every time. I can’t wait to see how they improve the iPod. That should be interesting!
By the way, about 10 minutes after I set the deck out at the road, someone stopped and scooped it up.
Out with old and in with the new.



The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

No comments: